Staff UX Researcher- ASA/PAM
Location: Remote US/Canada
Our purpose is to free anyone to safely use any technology. It’s the freedom to make powerful choices, to connect to anything, and to innovate at scale with an identity-first approach. We’re builders and owners of a future-focused digital ecosystem in which identity is central to a more secure and connected world.
As pioneers in dynamic work, we’re all about empowering people with flexibility. At Okta, you set your own hours, make your own decisions, and work from wherever you work best, whether that’s in one of our 13 international offices or not.
Impact and equity are woven into the fabric of everything we do. Our founders took the 1% percent pledge early in our growth and created Okta for Good to empower every employee to make meaningful contributions. And because we recognize every identity is unique, we’ve designed our Employee Resource Groups—People of Color, Pride, Veterans, and Women at Okta—to help everyone feel a sense of belonging, both inside and outside of work.
The UX Research (UXR) Team leads critical research efforts at Okta, including designing complicated multi-phase studies and creating programs that help define entire product areas. Our goal is to empower our Product Design partners with the insights they need to make well-informed design decisions. We also use our insights and perspective to support cross-functional product development and alignment. We’re a highly-motivated, detail-oriented group with a passion for products, people, and bigger-picture insights.
Staff UX Researchers at Okta lead critical research efforts, complicated multi-phase studies, and create programs that help define entire product areas. Staff UX Researchers also provide mentorship to other team members and are a conduit for cross-functional product development and alignment.
In this role, you will primarily be responsible for creating a research practice, and owning research, for Advanced Server Access (ASA) and Privileged Access Management (PAM). As the researcher for this sphere, you will generate research questions, collaborate with and align internal stakeholders, and ultimately drive actionable product insights.
ASA/PAM’s goal is to develop a product that enables Okta customers to confidently provide secure, privileged access for authorized accounts, and gain granular visibility into account activity. Learn more here.
Additionally, you are passionate about complex experiences and are capable of parsing complicated flows. You are well versed in how to leverage research to make the business successful, and you will apply your technical understanding in order to accomplish company goals in this area.
In this role, you’ll get to:
- Grow and develop a research practice aimed at understanding the needs of the ASA/PAM sphere, collaborate with stakeholders to craft research questions and execute research
- Scope, prioritize, organize, and manage research initiatives across these teams.
- Exercise flexibility in research methodology (as appropriate for the product space and timeline) by designing and utilizing generative studies or evaluative research, appropriately.
- Facilitate cross-discipline research to drive clarity and decision-making.
- Design mechanisms to build up customer empathy and deep knowledge of our partners, end users, consumers, administrators, and other identified audiences.
- Represent your research to other leaders and executives.
- Evangelize research findings for durability and collective understanding of problems.
- Actively and consistently support all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience.
- Handle multiple projects and tasks concurrently
You could be a fit if you have:
- 6+ years of user research, individual contributor experience
- 2+ years of experience leading work
- Thorough knowledge of industry best practices for conducting research
- Deep experience with research methodologies that includes both qualitative and quantitative methodologies
- Experience performing research in the area of identity and access management, credential management and/or developer experience
- Experience with technical research participants including developers
- products made for partners, administrators, or other technically experienced audiences
- Experience communicating with all levels of management and company personnel including product teams (Design, Engineering, Product Marketing and Product Management)
- Experience analyzing and interpreting data and synthesizing recommendations
- Proficiency with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Docs, etc
- Empathy for users and a knowledge of and passion for their technical experiences
- Although not mandatory, knowledge of the managed services space, and of managed service providers’ business models and tools they use, would be valuable to this role.
- Bachelor's degree in business or related field, or equivalent experience
- Prefer advanced degree in Cognitive Psychology, HCI, or related
((Colorado, New York and Washington only*) Minimum salary of $135,000/year + bonus + equity + benefits))
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.