Application Security Engineers are responsible for conducting security reviews on all of Okta’s products, providing security education to our engineers, and handling externally reported vulnerabilities. This ranges from code reviews, penetration tests, and architectural reviews on new features and existing code, in order to provide security education and guidance to the entire organization.
This position is not for someone who operates solely on scanner-based vulnerabilities. You will be required to demonstrate a strong technical understanding of web applications, backend services, penetration testing techniques and methodologies. You should have a clear understanding of Okta's authentication protocols, such as SAML and OAuth. Furthermore, you should have the desire to automate tasks by building tools to help discover vulnerabilities and be comfortable explaining and communicating vulnerabilities to developers, management and leadership by creating thorough documentation of findings.
The most important quality we are looking for is someone who has an “evil bit” - an innate ability to think and operate like an attacker while solving complex problems with expertise and creativity. At Okta we fully support externally publishing exciting new findings and will help you do it in the form of white papers, blog posts, and live presentations at conferences of your choice.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with Engineering teams on Design Reviews for new features or major changes
- Audit code for security flaws and best practices
- Perform Penetration Tests on new features and on the platform as a whole
- Develop, implement, and communicate vulnerability mitigation strategies to development teams
- Work solo and collaboratively to deliver projects on a deadline
- Think like an attacker and solve complex problems with expertise and ingenuity
- Give security presentations and represent Okta in private or public venues
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to identify common (OWASP Top 10/CWE Top 25) web application vulnerabilities through secure code review (Java, .Net, Go, C, C++, C#, Swift, Kotlin, Python)
- Ability to conduct a manual Web Application Penetration Test using industry standard tools (ex: Burp Suite)
- Knowledge of modern web application components, architecture, and design principles
- Ability to explain vulnerability risks and remediation options to developers
- Beginner level coding ability in at least one scripting language (ex: Python, Bash)
Desired skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge in current authentication and authorization protocols (OIDC, SAML)
- Experience in mobile device (Android and/or iOS) application penetration testing
- Experience with SAST, DAST, SCA, and fuzzing tools
- Knowledge in current cryptographic algorithms and techniques
- Experience in attacking network protocols and analyzing network traffic
- Experience writing proof of concept scripts to demonstrate vulnerability exploitation
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent experience is a plus
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Okta is rethinking the traditional work environment, providing our employees with the flexibility to be their most creative and successful versions of themselves, no matter where they are located. We enable a flexible approach to work, meaning for roles where it makes sense, you can work from the office, or from home, regardless of where you live. Okta invests in the best technologies and provides flexible benefits and collaborative work environments/experiences, empowering employees to work productively in a setting that best and uniquely suits their needs. Find your place at Okta https://www.okta.com/company/careers/.
By submitting an application, you agree to the retention of your personal data for consideration for a future position at Okta. More details about Okta’s privacy practices can be found at: https://www.okta.com/privacy-policy.