You will be a part of Okta’s defensive security team and make significant contributions to security response initiatives surrounding the Okta platform, infrastructure, and corporate environment. You will apply cooperation, communication, analysis, and automation skills while working with the various teams that create Okta’s products and propel the company forward.
What We Do:
- Triage, investigate, and take action on a wide variety of security events
- Remediate security issues across application layer (such as web attacks and account take-over), infrastructure (suspicious network or OS activity, changes to cloud resource permissions), and corporate (phishing emails, suspicious domain registrations, etc)
- Deploy and improve commercial and Open Source tools to assist with security response
- Automate actions to reduce response latency and improve consistency
- Write and improve procedures and playbooks for handling security events
- Conduct security reviews of cloud infrastructure accounts to proactively identify problems and ensure they’re assigned for resolution
- Help craft management reports for ongoing security incidents
- Make suggestions for process improvements and take responsibility for collaborating with stakeholders to implement those improvements
Why You Want to Work Here:
- We handle a huge volume of enterprise authentication traffic and see interesting attacks every day
- We pick tools to fit the job, whether commercial, Open Source, or homegrown
- We don’t just identify problems, we help solve them. Whether it is a malware alert or a product design flaw, our team is involved in the solution, not merely throwing it over the fence to some other team to deal with
- We believe everyone has a unique and valuable perspective on security and great candidates come from all kinds of backgrounds
What You Bring to Okta:
- Collaborative approach to solving complex problems involving multiple teams and competing priorities
- Experience investigating a variety of sources, such as macOS, Linux, Network IDS, web applications, DNS, certificate transparency logs, etc
- Ability to take a complex security response question and break it down into various investigation tasks with dependencies
- Experience owning and coordinating response efforts to security incidents, such as identifying key stakeholders to notify, tracking outstanding items, and communicating status updates to the organization
- Past experience automating security actions, especially remediation or alert enrichment/post processing
- A solid grasp of how the web works, understanding of various web application architecture components, and knowledge of how attackers exploit these components
- You enjoy creating playbooks and how-tos almost as much as working on high-pressure security incidents
- Understanding that attackers don't work 9 to 5 and sometimes we can't either
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent experience
- Past experience implementing or leveraging a SOAR platform or similar capability
- You have experience working at a cloud service provider
- Familiarity with at least some AWS services
- Previous experience with in-depth host and network based forensics investigations
- Previous experience being part of a large scope security incident
- Deep understanding of OS fundamentals on Linux, macOS, or Windows
- Decent understanding of encryption fundamentals
- Calm and collected demeanor
Okta is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Individuals seeking employment at this company are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation. You are being given the opportunity to provide the following information in order to help us comply with federal and state Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action record keeping, reporting, and other legal requirements.
Completion of the form is entirely voluntary. Whatever your decision, it will not be considered in the hiring process or thereafter. Any information that you do provide will be recorded and maintained in a confidential file.
If you believe you belong to any of the categories of protected veterans listed below, please indicate by making the appropriate selection. As a government contractor subject to Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA), we request this information in order to measure the effectiveness of the outreach and positive recruitment efforts we undertake pursuant to VEVRAA. Classification of protected categories is as follows:
A "disabled veteran" is one of the following: a veteran of the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service who is entitled to compensation (or who but for the receipt of military retired pay would be entitled to compensation) under laws administered by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs; or a person who was discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability.
A "recently separated veteran" means any veteran during the three-year period beginning on the date of such veteran's discharge or release from active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval, or air service.
An "active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran" means a veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service during a war, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized under the laws administered by the Department of Defense.
An "Armed forces service medal veteran" means a veteran who, while serving on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service, participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces service medal was awarded pursuant to Executive Order 12985.Why are you being asked to complete this form?
Because we do business with the government, we must reach out to, hire, and provide equal opportunity to qualified people with disabilities1. To help us measure how well we are doing, we are asking you to tell us if you have a disability or if you ever had a disability. Completing this form is voluntary, but we hope that you will choose to fill it out. If you are applying for a job, any answer you give will be kept private and will not be used against you in any way.
If you already work for us, your answer will not be used against you in any way. Because a person may become disabled at any time, we are required to ask all of our employees to update their information every five years. You may voluntarily self-identify as having a disability on this form without fear of any punishment because you did not identify as having a disability earlier.How do I know if I have a disability?
You are considered to have a disability if you have a physical or mental impairment or medical condition that substantially limits a major life activity, or if you have a history or record of such an impairment or medical condition.
Disabilities include, but are not limited to:
- Cerebral palsy
- Muscular dystrophy
- Bipolar disorder
- Major depression
- Multiple sclerosis (MS)
- Missing limbs or partially missing limbs
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Obsessive compulsive disorder
- Impairments requiring the use of a wheelchair
- Intellectual disability (previously called mental retardation)
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
1Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. For more information about this form or the equal employment obligations of Federal contractors, visit the U.S. Department of Labor’s Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) website at www.dol.gov/ofccp.
PUBLIC BURDEN STATEMENT: According to the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 no persons are required to respond to a collection of information unless such collection displays a valid OMB control number. This survey should take about 5 minutes to complete.
The foundation for secure connections between people and technology
Okta is the leading provider of identity for the enterprise. The Okta Identity Cloud connects and protects employees of many of the world's largest enterprises. It also securely connects enterprises to their partners, suppliers and customers. With deep integrations to over 5,000 apps, the Okta Identity Cloud enables simple and secure access from any device. Thousands of customers, including Experian, 20th Century Fox, LinkedIn, Flex, News Corp, Dish Networks and Adobe trust Okta to work faster, boost revenue and stay secure. Okta helps customers fulfill their missions faster by making it safe and easy to use the technologies they need to do their most significant work