Japan’s 2020 Amendment to the Act on the Protection of Personal Information (APPI) and Leveraging the Okta Service
On June 5, 2020, the Japanese Diet passed a new set of amendments to its data privacy law, the Act on the Protection of Personal Information (“APPI”) to be fully effective on April 1, 2022 (“2020 APPI Amendments”) with some portions becoming effective earlier.
The 2020 APPI Amendments made key changes to the APPI in line with global privacy regulations, including strengthening the protection of individual’s rights, increasing companies’ obligations on security and transparency around the processing of personal data of individuals located in Japan, and toughening penalties for violations.
This whitepaper is designed to provide you with an overview of the 2020 Amendments and how you can leverage Okta products to help you prepare your organisation for the 2020 APPI Amendments. This whitepaper addresses the following:
- Who does the APPI apply to?
- Personal Information under the APPI
- Expanded Rights of Individuals
- New Obligations for Businesses
- New Rules for the Transfer of Personal Information
- Penalties for Non-Compliance Actions to Consider as You Prepare