New employee onboarding
What’s wrong with this approach?
Click below to discover the problem with and impact of
the highlighted components in the sample email.
1. New employee’s name is spelled differently in subject line and email text.
IMPACT: Incorrect spelling will propogate to all downstream applications and create username in some apps which are hard to unwind.
2. What if any of the app admins are on vacation or they are no longer responsible?
IMPACT: App not live when person starts, request gets lost; IT will deal with fallout via helpdesk tickets.
3. No job title or other “metadata” required by apps for account set-up.
IMPACT: Without job title, it is not clear what rights they should have for each app. Without required metadata (which can be different for each app), admins cannot create an account.
4. No specific start date for clarification.
IMPACT: Employee apps are not live when they are needed.
5. Are there enough licenses available?
IMPACT: Could delay creating account or result in unexpected bill.
6. Who has the right to make these kinds of requests to all the app owners. Is there an approval process?
IMPACT: If the requestor is not authorized, the set-up could be delayed. If there is no approval process for who makes requests, inaccurate rights could be granted.
As your organization grows, so does the need to quickly and securely connect employees to the tools and resources they need to do their job on day one. Manual onboarding such as the email example above, or patchworked solutions such as scripts don’t scale. In fact, these approaches lead to low productivity, inaccurate data, and security risks. Okta Lifecycle Management connects your HR system and IT resources to automate onboarding and offboarding in a modern, seamless, and secure way.