Improve IT Admin Insight with the New Import Monitoring Dashboard
Importing new users into Okta from directories like Active Directory and LDAP, or HR systems like Workday and SuccessFactors, can be a painful experience for IT administrators. Okta Admins had no way of knowing what imports were currently running, had recently completed, or failed, or any way to gage the completion of an in-progress import.
That state of affairs ends today. We’re excited to announce Early Access (EA) availability of the Okta Import Monitoring Dashboard! This new import dashboard provides a single view of all imports currently in-progress, completed or failed in the past week. This improves the admin experience for Okta customers, and will reduce confusion that arises due to a lack of admin information.
Let’s go through the specifics of what the Okta Import Monitoring Dashboard is, and how it improves the admin experience for Okta customers who perform frequent imports.
The problem: admins had no visibility into or control over imports
Previously, admins had no view into the status of in-progress import data such as
- Time initiated
- Phase of completion
- Number of users or groups added, updated, or removed
Or a single location to see imports from multiple identity sources, so
- Finding an Individual import required a search of the system log for related events
- There was no holistic view that displayed all identity sources
The new Import Monitoring Dashboard solves all of these problems with a centralized view of in-progress and recently completed imports from all identity sources. Benefits include
- Visibility into the current phase of execution for in-progress imports
- Summary statistics for recently completed imports
- Clear communication of import failure data
- A link to SysLog for granular information about each import
Sold? Here’s how to enable it today
The Import Monitoring Dashboard is currently available as an EA feature. To set up the Import Monitoring Dashboard for your org:
- Go to the Admin Console within the Okta app.
- From the Settings menu, choose Features.
- From the Features page, click the Import Monitoring Dashboard button to enable the feature, as shown below.
- Navigate to the new dashboard by either
- clicking Import Monitoring under the Reports menu or
- through the Monitor Imports link from a configured import source.
Once the feature has been enabled on your org, access it through the User Interface shown below:
And that’s it! You’re all set to start using the Import Monitoring Dashboard.
Now, let’s hear from YOU
EA releases give you the opportunity to try out new features before anyone else. We’d love to hear your feedback on how we can make the Okta Import Monitoring Dashboard even better for our Generally Available release. You can also provide feedback from the Features page > Early Access.
But we’re not resting. We’re actively working on improvements that we know will enhance the upcoming version even more, so stay tuned for more exciting things to come!
Interested in more deep dives into Okta features? Check out our blog series The Production Line to learn about features you may have missed the first time around.