Okta Celebrates International Transgender Day of Visibility with New Guide for Employees and Leaders
At Okta, we believe providing a work environment based on our core value of integrity—including respect, trust, and collaboration—creates an exceptional experience where employees can bring their best selves to work and thrive in their careers.
To empower our people to bring their best selves to work, we’ve created an internal Trans and Non-Binary Inclusion Guide to raise awareness and offer resources for all Okta team members. We are proud to share this guide on International Trans Day of Visibility, which recognizes the resilience and accomplishments of the transgender community worldwide.
We created these guidelines for Okta’s transgender and non-binary employees, their coworkers, managers, the people team, LGBTQIA+ employee group leaders, and others who may be involved. It covers best practices for employees and managers and how to address customers and clients.
Empowering Okta employees to be their best selves
When an employee takes steps to live consistently with their gender identity full-time, employers often become involved in that transition. As with all change, gender transitions may affect many people—the individual transitioning, supervisors, peers, clients, and even those with incidental affiliation, such as working in the same location or practice area.
These gender transition guidelines were created to help foster dialogue and understanding of transgender issues in the workplace. They provide guidance for transitioning employees, colleagues, managers, and the people team and provide a starting point for building awareness around a topic that is still evolving in the workplace.
Deepening our commitment to inclusivity
At Okta, we feel strongly that an inclusive culture benefits everyone. That’s why our executive staff has committed to creating a culture where everyone:
- Can safely express themself openly and bring their best self to work.
- Can dress in a manner consistent with their gender identity or gender expression. Okta’s policies do not restrict employees’ clothing or appearance based on gender.
- Can share information related to their gender identity or expression in a manner consistent with their personal expectations and interest in privacy.
- Is addressed by the name and pronoun that corresponds to their gender identity.
- Has access to the restrooms corresponding to their gender identity, regardless of their sex assigned at birth.
- Works in an environment free from harassment, discrimination, bullying, or retaliation based on gender identity or gender expression.
- Feels safe in raising concerns.
- Can access time off and other company benefits to adequately address physical and mental health needs.
When each employee is comfortable being themself at Okta—only then will we know we’re living up to our values.
Learn more about our commitment to diversity, inclusion and belonging, or browse our job openings to join us.