BeyondID Epic Provisioning Connector
This Epic provisioning connector by BeyondID allows healthcare IT admins to use Okta to create, update, deactivate, and delete workforce accounts within Epic. With account sourcing set up in your IT environment, account changes in Okta or a Human Resources Information System (HRIS) connected to Okta will automatically be reflected in Epic. In addition, this integration uses Okta to automatically pass any changes made in Epic to downstream applications. This integration is built and maintained by BeyondID, which provides unique, innovative services and solutions that enable customers to enhance security and productivity, expand business, and reduce costs.
- Workforces are complex and dynamic at healthcare organizations, creating a heavy ongoing workload for IT and HR teams responsible for onboarding and offboarding users, and updating user roles as jobs change
- Manually creating, updating, and deleting electronic records in Epic —and making sure those changes are reflected everywhere—can be time-intensive and error-prone
- Healthcare orgs need to automate user management and assign access controls, protect sensitive patient information, and stay compliant with regulations
Use BeyondID + Okta’s connector to securely and automatically provision, deprovision, and update user accounts in Epic
Give IT admins the ability to centrally manage user accounts by bringing together identity stores and user management controls in a seamless workflow, with account changes automatically reflected everywhere
Ensure authorized healthcare providers and support staff have access to electronic health records in Epic whenever they need it
Protect sensitive patient information by applying Okta’s Multi-Factor Authentication to electronic health records (EHR) access, for added security and regulatory compliance
Automate provisioning and deprovisioning into Epic
Okta and BeyondID’s Epic connector (covering EMP records, for employees, and SER records, for service providers) combine to automate user management for your healthcare organization. The SCIM provisioning capability ensures that when user activities–create, read, update, and delete (CRUD)–are initiated in either Okta or Epic, those changes will be reflected in both systems, as well as propagated to any downstream applications connected to Okta, whether on-premises or in the cloud.
Secure access to sensitive information with best-in-class identity management
In highly-regulated industries like healthcare, ensuring that sensitive information stays secure is of paramount importance. BeyondID’s Epic connector provides the ability to easily extend Okta’s best-in-class identity management capabilities, including Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) protection, to Epic access. On-premises and off, authorized clinical care providers and employees can easily and quickly self-authenticate so they can access the Epic services they need to provide the best quality care, while patient health records remain secure and the company stays comfortably in compliance.
Simplify workforce management for Epic users
- Provide your healthcare workforce secure access to the Epic electronic medical records they need to optimize patient care
- Simplify provisioning and deprovisioning for your IT team, and ensure records stay up to date everywhere, with changes in Okta automatically reflected in Epic and in downstream applications
- Use MFA to ensure secure access to sensitive information and keep the healthcare organization in compliance with industry regulations
- OIDC OpenID Connect is an extension to the OAuth standard that provides for exchanging Authentication data between an identity provider (IdP) and a service provider (SP) and does not require credentials to be passed from the Identity Provider to the application.
- SAML Security Assertion Markup Language is an open standard for exchanging authentication and authorization data between an identity provider (IdP) and a service provider (SP) that does not require credentials to be passed to the service provider.
- SWA Secure Web Authentication is a Single Sign On (SSO) system developed by Okta to provide SSO for apps that don't support proprietary federated sign-on methods, SAML or OIDC.
- Attribute Sourcing
- Create Creates or links a user in the application when assigning the app to a user in Okta.
- Update Okta updates a user's attributes in the app when the app is assigned. Future attribute changes made to the Okta user profile will automatically overwrite the corresponding attribute value in the app.
- Deactivate Deactivates a user's account in the app when it is unassigned in Okta or their Okta account is deactivated. Accounts can be reactivated if the app is reassigned to a user in Okta.
- Sync Password Push either the users Okta password or a randomly generated password to the app. This feature is not required for all federated applications as user authentication takes place in Okta, however some apps still require a password.
- Group Push Push existing Okta groups and their memberships to the application. Groups can then be managed in Okta and changes are reflected in the application.
- Group Linking Link Okta groups to existing groups in the application. Simplifies onboarding an app for Okta provisioning where the app already has groups configured.
- Schema Discovery Import the user attribute schema from the application and reflect it in the Okta app user profile. Allows Okta to use custom attributes you have configured in the application that were not included in the basic app schema.
- Attribute Mastering The application can be defined as the source of truth for a full user profile or as the source of truth for specific attributes on a user profile.
- Attribute Writeback When the application is used as a profile master it is possible to define specific attributes to be sourced from another location and written back to the app. For example the user profile may come from Active Directory with phone number sourced from another app and written back to Active Directory.