Coursera is a leading online learning platform for higher education, where 60 million learners from around the world come to learn skills of the future. More than 200 of the world’s top universities and industry educators partner with Coursera to offer courses, Specializations, certificates, and degree programs. 2,400 companies trust the company’s enterprise platform Coursera for Business to transform their talent. Coursera for Government equips government employees and citizens with in-demand skills to build a competitive workforce. Coursera for Campus empowers any university to offer high-quality, job-relevant online education to students, alumni, faculty, and staff.
Together Okta and Coursera Deliver
Single Sign-On (or SSO) with Okta allows users to pass between two systems without having to manually type in a username and password while maintaining trust between the two systems. It involves passing information about the user to Coursera from which Coursera initializes an account for the user. It has numerous benefits, a few of which are outlined below.
Streamlined Access- Give learners access to their Enterprise Coursera Program via single sign-on, and help expedite access to resources which further increases productivity.
Seamless Experience - When a user arrives at the Coursera for Business program, they are prompted to create their account. With Okta SSO, the user can press the “Login with Okta” button to initialize their account (if the first visit) and thereafter login with the same button.
User verification - We can use the SSO exchange attributes to verify a user and can automatically invite a user to an enterprise program based on attribute values received in the SAML payload. We can also enrich the Coursera user profile based on SAML attributes, which will appear in reports and user information.
Get Coursera access on the go - With automated Coursera app deployment to mobile devices and mobile SSO, your employees can stay productive and secure outside of the office
Provisioning and authentication
Add this integration to enable authentication and provisioning capabilities.
- Create Creates or links a user in the application when assigning the app to a user in Okta.
- Update Okta updates a user's attributes in the app when the app is assigned. Future attribute changes made to the Okta user profile will automatically overwrite the corresponding attribute value in the app.
- Deactivate Deactivates a user's account in the app when it is unassigned in Okta or their Okta account is deactivated. Accounts can be reactivated if the app is reassigned to a user in Okta.
- Attribute Sourcing The application can be defined as the source of truth for a full user profile or as the source of truth for specific attributes on a user profile.
- Sync Password Push either the users Okta password or a randomly generated password to the app. This feature is not required for all federated applications as user authentication takes place in Okta, however some apps still require a password.
- Group Push Push existing Okta groups and their memberships to the application. Groups can then be managed in Okta and changes are reflected in the application.
- Group Linking Link Okta groups to existing groups in the application. Simplifies onboarding an app for Okta provisioning where the app already has groups configured.
- Schema Discovery Import the user attribute schema from the application and reflect it in the Okta app user profile. Allows Okta to use custom attributes you have configured in the application that were not included in the basic app schema.
- Attribute Writeback When the application is used as a profile master it is possible to define specific attributes to be sourced from another location and written back to the app. For example the user profile may come from Active Directory with phone number sourced from another app and written back to Active Directory.
- SAML Security Assertion Markup Language is an open standard for exchanging authentication and authorization data between an identity provider (IdP) and a service provider (SP) that does not require credentials to be passed to the service provider.
- SWA Secure Web Authentication is a Single Sign On (SSO) system developed by Okta to provide SSO for apps that don't support proprietary federated sign-on methods, SAML or OIDC.
- OIDC OpenID Connect is an extension to the OAuth standard that provides for exchanging Authentication data between an identity provider (IdP) and a service provider (SP) and does not require credentials to be passed from the Identity Provider to the application.