Okta Integration Network
Workday Human Capital Management is built as a single system with a single source of data, single security model, and single user experience. Workday offers organizations a cloud-based system that evolves to meet changing business needs today and into the future. The user-friendly, global system also ensures that customers are always on the latest version with up-to-date capabilities, whether they’re using Workday on a browser or mobile device. Workday HCM is part of a single system with other Workday products including Workday Financial Management, Workday Payroll (for the U.S., Canada, France, and the UK), Workday Recruiting, Workday Learning, Workday Planning, and more.
Key product areas:
Human Resource Management
Business Process Management
Reporting and Analytics
Employee and Manager Self-Service
Performance and Goal Management
Contingent Labor Management
An HR Information System (HRIS) is typically the system of record for employees, but needs to share data with IT in order to create user accounts, assign applications, and deactivate users.As HR systems, directories and apps move to the cloud, HR and IT have to find more efficient and less risky ways to communicate.
- Inefficient processes: sending data via email, attachments, or file extracts is time-consuming and error prone
- Security gaps: The average company takes two days to deprovision users, putting company data at risk
- Employee downtime: Employees have to file helpdesk tickets and wait to get assigned apps and update permissions
Okta’s pre-built integration unifies HR and IT, using employee data and updates in Workday to inform the user lifecycle across IT systems, including Active Directory, SaaS and on-premises applications.
Automate user provisioning: Use HR triggers such as New Hires and user attributes like title or department to automatically assign IT-managed applications.
Improve data freshness and fidelity: Ensure employee attributes stay up to date everywhere with bi-directional sync - get key IT data, like email and phone, back into HR systems.
Decrease security risks when employees leave: Close security loopholes upon employee departure with real-time deprovisioning and access suspension based on HR triggers.
Make employees productive from day one: Provision new hires before start date, update permissions in real-time as roles change, and enable them to maintain their own profiles.
- OIDC OpenID Connect is an extension to the OAuth standard that provides for exchanging Authentication data between an identity provider (IdP) and a service provider (SP) and does not require credentials to be passed from the Identity Provider to the application.
- SAML Security Assertion Markup Language is an open standard for exchanging authentication and authorization data between an identity provider (IdP) and a service provider (SP) that does not require credentials to be passed to the service provider.
- SWA Secure Web Authentication is a Single Sign On (SSO) system developed by Okta to provide SSO for apps that don't support proprietary federated sign-on methods, SAML or OIDC.
- WS-Fed A standard for exchanging authentication and authorization data between an identity provider (IdP) and a service provider (SP) that does not require credentials to be passed to the service provider.
- Create Creates or links a user in the application when assigning the app to a user in Okta.
- Update Okta updates a user's attributes in the app when the app is assigned. Future attribute changes made to the Okta user profile will automatically overwrite the corresponding attribute value in the app.
- Deactivate Deactivates a user's account in the app when it is unassigned in Okta or their Okta account is deactivated. Accounts can be reactivated if the app is reassigned to a user in Okta.
- Sync Password Push either the users Okta password or a randomly generated password to the app. This feature is not required for all federated applications as user authentication takes place in Okta, however some apps still require a password.
- Group Push Push existing Okta groups and their memberships to the application. Groups can then be managed in Okta and changes are reflected in the application.
- Group Linking Link Okta groups to existing groups in the application. Simplifies onboarding an app for Okta provisioning where the app already has groups configured.
- Schema Discovery Import the user attribute schema from the application and reflect it in the Okta app user profile. Allows Okta to use custom attributes you have configured in the application that were not included in the basic app schema.
- Attribute Mastering The application can be defined as the source of truth for a full user profile or as the source of truth for specific attributes on a user profile.
- Attribute Writeback When the application is used as a profile master it is possible to define specific attributes to be sourced from another location and written back to the app. For example the user profile may come from Active Directory with phone number sourced from another app and written back to Active Directory.